Friday, June 23, 2017

Baba Yaga's House for Beautiful Freaks Fest 2017




I love fairy tales from all over the world, so I was a bit surprised when a few decades ago while reading "Women Who Run with Wolves" by Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estes that I read a story from the Slavic regions about a witch named Baba Yaga. She could appear as an old crone or a young maiden.Young men on quests, young girls with problems sought her out for assistance. Of course, there were prerequisites for obtaining said help. If you didn't meet her standards or were rude, you were punished immediately! She could curse you with a spell or serve you up with her mashed potatoes and turnips. Yes, she was that kind of witch! She traveled around the forests in a mortar and used a pestle to steer her path. Her trusting broom was pulled behind her to cover her tracks. When she went home her house would dance about on the legs of a chicken and spin around so the door was hard to find.
This is my take on the Baba Yaga house. If you are familiar with my gratitude and word jars, the shape of the jar should look familiar. I covered the jar in plaster bandages, Apoxie Sculpt, and paint. I added moss to the bottom for surely the legs need to rest occasionally! I covered the lid with Apoxie Sculpt shingles and a stone chimney. There are more than 38 charms and bead dangles. It took me the better part of a week, mostly trying to figure out how to attach the legs and make sure they could handle the weight of the jar and its embellishments and still remain upright. Thank you Apoxie Sculpt and popsicle sticks and my handy dandy miniature level.
You can use it for affirmations (Baba was great on boundaries and free will), as a Halloween decoration, or as a place to hide the last 3 homemade chocolate chip cookies! The choice is in your imagination.

Now, please hop on over to the Beautiful Freaks Fest blog to see all the fun stuff!
Here's where you will find them:http://magalyguerrero.com/welcome-to-beautiful-freaks-fest-2017/

26 comments:

  1. Oh this turned out awesome! I enjoyed watching the progress, the detail and charms are entrancing. I must open up again "Women Who Run With Wolves", it's just sitting there on my shelf waiting for rediscovery. Have a great weekend and stay cool.
    http://gypsyspiritrising.blogspot.com/2017/06/beautiful-freaks-fest-2017.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Holly! I like to re-visit "Women who Runbwith Wolves" now and again. It might be time for a total reading of it again!

      Delete
  2. I love the fairy tale, the retelling of it, and your reflection on it. Baby Yaga makes me think of Hekate at lot (and, in a way, of Granny Weatherwax). I love the no nonsense approach of their personality. And, of course, what's not to completely adore about a house that runs on chicken legs? Someone's home is going to be made better by this jar. Lucky, lucky, lucky person. The colors are perfect, the charms amazing, and the idea Beautifully Freakish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Baba Yaga stories! I think she shows a fair mindedness that other fairy tale witches miss out on. Thank you for your sweet words about my contribution and for hosting a great party!

      Delete
  3. I'm so excited to see your finished Baba Yaga jar, and it is a freakish delight! Too think early on, you struggled... but your artist won out! Amazing piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Reba! Yes, the legs gave me fits trying to figure out how to attach them so they would actually hold up the jar. I appreciate your lovely comments and you following along on this out of my comfort zone endeavor!

      Delete
  4. Loved your post..I too love all of these gorgeous and intriguing fairytales from all over the world! Pretty amazing!
    Looking forward to seeing your Baba Yaga creation..I am sure it will be amazing!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Victoria. The pictures at the top of the story are of the Baba Yaga House jar. There are better pictures on my Etsy site. www.TouchoftheGoddess.etsy.com
      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I love your Baba Yaga, and although I knew a little about her, I didn't realize that she could also appear as a young maiden, so thank you for sharing some of the lore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! Thank YOU for hosting s great party and for stopping by my blog!

      Delete
  6. Stunning creation; your jars. A lot of work must gone into this delightful collection "There are more than 38 charms..." I wish we could spend an afternoon over tea, and you could tell me about the magic delights of these charms; captivating tales, I'm sure.😊 Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Khaya! I do use the charms to help tell the story of the jar, some planned ahead of time, others intuitively added as I am working on them. I would adore having tea with you and discussing the things that catch our fancy! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I think this is my favourite of your creations so far...I could live in that house, spinning and dancing through the forest. :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Gina! Thank you! That means so much coming from you! You are such s wonderfully talented artist!

      Delete
  8. This is such an amazing level of artistry. You've outdone yourself Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my gosh! Thank you so much, Rommy! Your words mean so much!

      Delete
  9. This is an absolute delight!!!❤️ I can't wait for your Baba Yaga Jar!!❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am so glad you liked it! The pictures at the top are of the jar. I made them into a collage, but I should have left them separate. The collage made the pics really small. I do have better pictures on Facebook! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. Wow, Wow, Wow!! Stunning Sharon!!! I never new anything about Baba Yaga! Thanks for the interesting story!! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool jar art!!!! Love the story of Baba Yaga.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You create such wonderful Art. Things that seem to beg to be touched and looked at. Each one is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sharon! I love what I am seeing here. I will be visiting your blog often so I am a new follower...Jan 🎃👻🍁

    ReplyDelete